contact me: @bethanywhite
As a recent graduate from Oxford University, with a 2.1 honours degree in English Language and Literature, I aspire to a career in journalism. I have excellent written communication and research skills, enhanced by my undergraduate studies. I can both lead and work as part of a team, and am motivated by challenging deadlines. I have work experience at national, local and student radio stations and papers, including BBC World Service and Sky News. These placements have developed my skills in editing, researching, compiling and reading news reports and bulletins. I look forward to cultivating my skills in a professional environment.
University of Oxford, Mansfield College, October 2011 – June 2014, English Language and Literature, BA Hons., 2.1.
- Emphasis on verbal and written communication through the tutorial system, researching and authoring essays to weekly deadlines.
- Specialised in the works of Philip Roth and Film in third year.
Richard Taunton Sixth Form College (formerly Taunton’s College), Southampton. 2009-2011
- A Levels in English Literature, Religious Studies, Classical Civilisations and Extended Project Qualification – (A*, A, A, A*)
- AS Levels in English Literature, English Language, Religious Studies, Classical Civilisation and Critical Thinking – (Grade A in all)
- Extended Project Qualification – an extended essay comparing Ancient Greek religion with contemporary Christianity
Media and Marketing Coordinator at IT Works for Business (Southampton, November 2014 – Present)
- Writing articles for www.itworksforbusiness.co.uk and www.2degreesnetwork.comOperated the till and stocked shelves in the Swedish Food Market
- Promoting the business and engaging with clients on social media, as well as managing the Twitter account (@m2mitworks)
- Market research into local businesses who could benefit from energy management solutions
Seasonal Selling Assistant at John Lewis (Southampton, November 2014- present)
- Selling products and operating till in Audio and TV department
Bar staff at RAG Ball, Oxford (November 2013)
- Responsible for mixing and serving cocktails at a charity ball
IKEA Food Service Co-Worker (Southampton, September 2009 – April 2010)
- Served and cooked food for customers as part of a team in the Bistro
- Operated the till and stocked shelves in the Swedish Food Market
Work placement at Sky News Radio (12 Jan – 23 Jan 2015)
- Conducted and edited interviews for stories in the newsroom
- Researched and wrote copy for news bulletins
- Trained to use iNews and Netia audio editing software.
Editor of Oxide News (September 2013 – June 2014)
- News editor at Oxide (Oxford University Student Union radio station)
- Gathered news stories, and produced and edited reports for broadcast, primarily using Audacity.
- Managed a team of reporters by giving them assignments and editing their work.
Work Experience at BBC World Service (2nd – 3rd September 2013)
- Worked on World Have Your Say, shadowing producers, researching and booking guests using social media and conducting telephone interviews.
Work Experience at Sky News (31st August – 1st September 2013)
- Shadowed the news desk giving an insight into a professional newsroom
- Researched and booked guests for television interviews
Freelancer at IPC Media (10 – 11th September 2013)
- Helped livingETC magazine coordinate their Fabric Awards 2013
News Presenter at Voice FM Southampton (July – September 2013)
- Volunteered at Voice FM community station, compiling and reading news reports as part of their first News team.
- Co-hosted Sunday morning chat show
Women’s Rep and Trained Peer Supporter at University of Oxford
- Women’s Rep for the JCR at Mansfield College. Organised welfare events, ran sexual harassment workshops, and raised awareness of women’s issues.
- 30 hours of training to become a Peer Supporter. This involved listening, referrals, support and guidance.
- Supported a varitety of students within the college.
Shadowing at BBC Radio 4 (October 2012)
- I shadowed the making of the Profile programme, and had researching and podcasting input.
Radio host at Oxide radio station (November 2012 – June 2014)
- I hosted a radio show on student radio about film and television, centring around reviews and discussion. Technical experience with QCart and Audacity.
Staff Writer at Oxford Student newspaper (July 2012 – July 2013)
- Regular writer for the Screen section of the newspaper, and Arts and Literature
Newsletter Editor for Rowe Hankins, (February 2010-July 2010)
- Edited a newsletter for a train company based in Manchester
- Developed computer skills, particularly in Microsoft Word and Publisher.